As we enjoy the festive season and all things Christmas — our very own Head of UNESCO City of Music Kev McManus has spoken to a few of our favourite Liverpool artists to ask them what their top ten Christmas tunes are.
There’s plenty of choice for your music hit list — sure to get you through the festive season!
Yule Never Walk Alone — Elvis Costello
(Quotes are from Elvis Costello and his comments on the song choice)
- Merry Christmas Everybody” — Slade — Walsall’s answer to Ray Ennis. The best screaming lead vocal since The Swinging Blue Jeans’ “Hippy Hippy Shake”.
- “Must Be Santa” — Bob Dylan — It’s a polka. You think you don’t need it but you do.
- “Merry Christmas Baby” — Charles Brown — As Mister Brown says, “I’m all lit up, just like as Christmas tree”
- “Winter Song” — Lindisfarne — Alan Hull’s timely thoughts for those who don’t get presents.
- “A Cradle In Bethlehem” — My favourite Nat Cole Christmas song.
- “Run Run Rudolph” — Chuck Berry — “You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen. Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?”
- “Old Toy Trains” — Nick Lowe — A seasonal song from “The Gentleman Balladeer”.
- “The Stephen’s Day Murders” — Elvis Costello & The Chieftains — I wrote these words to an air adapted by Paddy Moloney, as goodwill to all men (not to mention your relations) sometimes only lasts until the 27th of December.
- “Merry Xmas (War Is Over)” — John & Yoko Plastic Ono Band — Only if you want it.
- “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?” — Diana Krall — My gal’s rendition of this wartime song.
A Christmas Sing Song — Ian Prowse
‘It’s Christmas isn’t it so you gotta have a sing song, a good old dance, maybe a bit of a cry, but mostly you have to reconnect with your loved ones who you probably don’t see enough of.’
- 2000 Miles- The Pretenders
- It’s All Good — Damien Dempsey
- Fairytale of New York- The Pogues
- Gaudete- Steeleye Span
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town — Bruce Springsteen
- Strawberry Fields — The Beatles
- The Leaving Of Liverpool — The Dubliners
- Find The River- REM
- Knowing Me Knowing You- Abba
- Dancin In The Streets — Martha Reeves
Red Rum Club’s Christmas Ditties
- Fairytale of New York — The Pogues
- Stop the Cavalry — Jona Lewie
- Christmas Wrapping — The Waitresses
- Merry Christmas Everyone — Shakin Stevens
- He ‘Aint Heavy (He’s my brother) — The Justice Collective
- Don’t let the bells end — The Darkness
- Merry Christmas Everybody — Slade
- Last Christmas — Wham!
- Driving Home for Christmas — Chris Rea
- Power of love — Frankie goes to Hollywood
All I want for Christmas is Youth — The Paris Youth Foundation
‘This is the Paris Youth Foundation Christmas Playlist. It was quite hard to draw a proper definitive list of Christmas songs because there’s so many amazing ones, but we gave it a go. It’s a mix of tunes that reminds us of being at home with family and also some seasonal classics that remind us of being out with mates around December.’
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas — Frank Sinatra
- The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You) — Nat King Cole
- Driving Home for Christmas — Chris Rea
- Merry Christmas Everyone — Shakin’ Stevens
- A Spaceman Came Travelling — Chris De Burgh
- Last Christmas — Wham
- Wonderful Christmas Time — Paul McCartney
- Happy Xmas (War is Over) — John Lennon
- It Feels Like Christmas — Ghost of Christmas Present (Muppets)
- Feliz Navidad — Jose Feliciano
Top 10 Christmas themed bangers that remind me of home — Abbie Ozard
‘Here are the tunes that remind me of home time at Christmas, hope u enjoy them and they make u feel festive and tingly (or depressed, sorry) x’
- Both Sides Now- Joni Mitchell
- In The Bleak Midwinter
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas- Judy Garland
- Stay Another Day — east 17(obviously)
- Christmas Lights- Coldplay
- Silent Night — Frank Sinatra version
- What Christmas Means to Me- Hanson
- TV christmas- Dog is Dead
- White Christmas- Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby
- The Nutcracker Suite- Brian Setzer (also any of Andy Williams’ Christmas albums)
The Song That Ruined Christmas — Natalie McCool
‘Here’s some chalk for the cheesiest time of year … offset the cheer with 10 Christmas songs that the Grinch would be proud of. You’re welcomeeeee!’
- Please Please Please (won’t you unwrap me?) — Natalie McCool
- Holidays R’ Hell — Tuscadero
- A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn’t So!) — The Flaming Lips
- I Believe In Father Christmas — Greg Lake
- That Was The Worst Christmas Ever! — Sufjan Stevens
- It’s Christmas So We’ll Stop — Frightened Rabbit
- Taking Down The Tree — Tracey Thorn
- Hark The Herald Angels Sing — The Fall
- Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis — Tom Waits
- Trim Up The Tree — Eugene Poddany